Wholesome Snacks on The Go
By Ginger Hultin, MS, RDN, CSO, integrative nutrition expert, cookbook author, and consultant dietitian who works with Clif Bar.
The ideas and suggestions written below are provided for general educational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice or care. The contents of this article are not intended to make health or nutrition claims about our products. Always seek the advice of a doctor or other qualified health professional before beginning any physical fitness or health- and nutrition-related activity.
Whether it’s a busy day of errands, a commute to school or work, or hanging out with friends or family, daily routines get busy. It’s easy for the day to get away from you if you aren’t prepared with wholesome snacks to keep you energised along the way. Having simple, easy options that travel well but also help you meet your health goals is something everyone needs to consider.
What Makes a Wholesome Snack?
A wholesome snack doesn't need to look the same every day. It depends on what you need. Carbohydrates like whole grains fuel a busy day, whereas protein and fat will help tide you over between meals.
Snacks that pack well and don’t require refrigeration for long days are another important aspect. Whether you’re commuting by bike, car, or public transport, convenient, shelf-stable options that keep their flavour and texture are key. Be sure to think about how you pack your snacks. Consider sustainable options like compostable and reusable bags and containers. When you’re on the go, pack portable snacks so that they can be easily carried in a lunch box, rucksack, or handbag.
It’s important to consider what kind of snack you need when you’re on the go. Should it be a lighter 100- calorie bite or a more substantial 250-calorie option?
100-Calorie Wholesome Snack Ideas
If you need an easy-to-eat bite while you’re on the go, often around 100 calories will do the trick. These wholesome snacks can be eaten quickly between meetings or with one hand when you’re stuck in traffic and don’t want to make a mess.
- type: embedded-entry-inline id: ue4I33eX1WmSOnYvHUuVB: with 108-111 calories and a blend of wholesome, plant-based ingredients, this delicious snack can be enjoyed during a bicycle commute to work, or an afternoon walk
- 160g of blueberries or strawberries
- A chunk (25g) of cheese
- A handful (30g) of nuts (e.g., almonds, pistachios, walnuts, hazelnuts, or pecans)
- 25g popcorn, lightly salted and drizzled with 1 teaspoon olive oil
- A handful of gherkins and 12 almonds
- 85g (2-3 slices) of sliced turkey wrapped in a large lettuce leaf
- 20 olives
- 5 sweet baby peppers dipped in a quarter of a smashed avocado
- 15g of sunflower seeds
250-Calorie Wholesome Snack Ideas
Sometimes you need a larger, more substantial snack to satisfy your needs and taste buds. Choose a simple option that’s about 250 calories with protein if you’re between meals or having a very busy day and need a satisfying snack.
- type: embedded-entry-inline id: 4YQ3RZNO26ADgU4ajgIUfU, made with a balanced mix of satisfying nutrients, including 6-7g plant protein
- A simple smoothie of 175ml semi-skimmed milk or non-dairy milk, 1 small banana, 60g low -fat yoghurt
- An apple with a handful of almonds
- 3 whole grain crackers dipped in 115g hummus
- A handful of walnuts combined with a handful of raisins
- 180g low fat yoghurt and with 4 dried apricots, chopped
- 1 slice of whole meal toast with ½ a small avocado sliced on top (spritz with lime to help keep it green as you travel!)
- 2 homemade protein balls (tablespoon-sized) made with 80g peanut butter or almond butter, 60g rolled oats, 25g unsweetened shredded coconut, 2 tablespoons (30ml) honey, 2 tablespoons (30ml) milk, and pinch of ground cinnamon. (makes 8 balls)
- 200g rice pudding
- A sandwich made with two pieces of thin-sliced whole meal bread, 1 tablespoon peanut butter and some sliced strawberries
On busy days, make sure you prepare yourself with wholesome options that match your snacking needs!