How to Get the Most from Austria's Area 47 Adventure Park
By David Agrell
The ideas and suggestions written below are provided for general educational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice or care. Always seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider before beginning any physical fitness or health- and nutrition related activity.
Ready to blow off some steam this summer but not sure what nonsense to get into? How about all of it, all at once? Adventure parks like Austria’s Area 47, one of Europe’s largest and most extreme outdoor adventure parks, offer a slew of different activities within a few acres. Situated in the Ötztal, a valley in Tirol at the foot of the Austrian Alps, Area 47 is packed with soaring gorges, deep caves, foamy rapids, and sprawling lakes—the perfect environment for climbing, canyoning, rafting, wakeboarding, and more. It also features some of Europe’s most intense water slides for when you’re ready to let gravity just do its thing.
That’s why Clif Bar & Company recently partnered with Area 47 to provide adventurers there with convenient, on-the-go options, like the classic CLIF BAR® energy* bar, which is purposely crafted with a mix of plant-based ingredients to keep you moving, and CLIF® BLOKS® Energy Chews, which deliver quick, easy-to-chew carbohydrates for more strenuous activities. Here we look at some of the best fun you can have at Area 47 and give some tips for making the most of your holiday.
- What to try: Scale steep granite walls, go hand-over-hand along wobbly rope bridges, and ascend seemingly endless ladders—all while surrounded by Alpine views—at Area 47’s Längenfeld via ferrata. Brave a terrifying ropes course suspended eight stories high from Area 47’s Ach Bridge, and then climb one of the bridge’s towers, which has been repurposed into Austria’s tallest climbing wall. Need to refine your free-climbing skills first? Head to a bouldering gym or park. Area 47’s Boulder Cave, for example, tops out at four metres and has an extra-soft floor so you can climb with confidence.
- What to pack: Wear light, comfortable, moisture-wicking clothes and pack essentials such as wraparound sunglasses, plenty of water and high-SPF suncream. Climbing parks like Area 47 provide essentials such as a harness, helmet, rope, and bouldering shoes.
- What to snack: Climbing is a full-on, full-body workout, so you’ll want to fuel up before and during the session. CLIF BAR energy* bars are easy to pack and made with wholesome and nutritious ingredients to give you the energy to move whenever, wherever. And if you’re lucky enough to visit Area 47, you’ll find CLIF BAR energy* bars available at the park!
- Quick tip: We don’t recommend using your smartphone while climbing—unless you plan on dropping it from 25 metres. Leave it somewhere safe below and embrace the opportunity to switch off and be in the moment.
Images from Area 47.
- What to try: Whitewater rafting is wet, cold, exhausting, and absolutely brilliant fun. An eight-person raft is a good excuse to get your best mates, work colleagues, or cousins together. At Area 47, the crew can explore Imster Gorge, which combines calm stretches with aggressive white water, or attempt the merciless European Rafting Championships route at Oetztaler Ache.
- What to pack: Wear lightweight, quick-drying T-shirts, and shorts over swimwear for the summer; fleece or similar synthetic material for cooler weather. Neoprene shoes are ideal, but old sneakers will do the job—just remember to pack an extra pair. The park will provide helmets, lifejackets, and other special equipment.
- What to snack: Paddling works more than your arms—your back, core, and leg muscles all pitch in. Don’t be the one in the group caught lagging! For energy*, bring along some CLIF BLOKS energy chews, which are available at Area 47 and provide simple carbohydrates (glucose and fructose). Plus, they can be opened with one hand so you can keep hold of your paddle.
- Quick tip: While you’re at it, try canyoning! Because where there are rugged whitewater gorges, there are usually canyons. Call ahead to see if you combine both activities into one adventure holiday. Area 47’s Ötztal canyon demands a couple hours of your best abseiling, climbing, scrambling, and swimming skills, so pack an easy-to-carry snack. With a delicious blend of plant-based carbohydrates, protein, and fat, a CLIF BAR energy* bar will do the trick.
- What to try: Wakeboarding pros train at Area 47, so it’s worth a trip there just to see how it’s done. The park’s 20,000-square-metre lake features six handles, so you won’t have to wait long for your turn, and the 420-metre cable allows a high-end lift of up to 10.5 metres. The park caters to all experience levels, with various kickers to practise your stunts. You’ll soon be carving, jumping, and pulling tricks alongside the region’s best.
- What to pack: You’ll need little more than high-SPF suncream and swimwear—parks such as Area 47 will equip you with a helmet, wetsuit, vest, and boots and let you rent a board.
- What to snack: Wakeboarding works just about every muscle, especially your upper body and legs. You’ll want to start recovering as soon as you’re done, so pack a snack like a CLIF® Builders® bar, which offers 20 grams of complete protein to help your body recover and rebuild muscle.†
- Quick tip: Relax! Pulling on the rope too hard will cause you to nose-dive while also wearing you out quickly. Instead, let the rope pull you. Keep your arms straight and the handle low to your hip, and you’ll be skipping the surface in no time.
Unable to travel to Area 47? You can find adventure literally anywhere. Whether you’re tackling the highest climbing wall in Austria or a boulder at your local park, you can rely on CLIF BAR® snacks to provide nutrition you can feel good about.
All done? Time for fun!
If you’ve done it right, you’ll end the day with a few aches, pains, and bruises. To keep the adrenaline flowing but with far less physical exertion, head to a water park. Hungry? Skip the poolside snack bar and instead grab something tasty and nutritious, like a CLIF® Nut Butter Bar. Made with delicious ingredients like creamy nut butters, it’ll deliver up to 7 grams of satisfying plant-based protein.
If you’ve already purchased an activity at Area 47, you can access the water park for free. Here you can freefall 22 metres into cool water, bomb down one of the five twisty water slides, or get tossed 15 metres into the air from a blob. Have no idea what that is? Maybe it’s time to find out.
* Phosphorous contributes to normal energy-yielding metabolism.
† Protein contributes to the growth and maintenance of muscle mass.